Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11 seven years ago.....


Seven years ago this terrible tragedy happened and like many I always reflect on the emotions of that day. By around 10 am the carnage was public and the entire staff of the agency I worked at just stood or sat in the boardroom crying and sobbing. We were all sickened by the collapse of the tower, but baffled more by questions like who could do this?, Why?, etc.
Just 5 weeks later I had to travel to NYC and the WTC was still smoldering and it had become a mecca for everyone just needing to see the carnage first hand. I remember the posters, the tears, the grim faces and the dust that was still eveyhwere and clearly this changed the soul of NYC.
I never considered myself a deeply religous man or one who had to pray for understanding but there was a number of "street ministers" on site and I went up to one and told him/her that I just felt this incredible need to pray for all the victims and the pain and the suffering and frankly the incredible confusion and sickness I had within myself as I tried to understand this whole thing. It felt good and each year I go back and walk around that area I feel better, especially as I see the trees and the yard around the cathedral that is just around the corner.
This is probably the event in my lifetime that has left me with the most awful feelings about what humans can do to each other and why someone would do something like this.
I just always feel very sad on September 11th and I think about and pray for the victims and their famillies and I hope something like this never happens again.
Howard

No comments: